Joe and I didn’t grow up raising sheep, and didn’t plan to have “just Jacobs”. But we became interested in heritage breeds through the American Minor Breeds Conservancy (Now American Livestock Breeds Conservancy) and had an opportunity to purchase our first Jacob ewe, Pinecroft Melinda at their Centreville Michigan show in 1987. Melinda was a great teacher for these novice shepherds, and provided us with a lot of lambs over the years! In 1990, Susanna Davy helped us to add three beautiful Fieldwood ewe lambs --- Tess, Mandy, and “Susanna” (we picked the names). These ewes, together with Melinda, really formed the base for our flock.
Over the years, we have added rams (and a few ewes) from numerous breeders including Luke Hardy; Neil Kenter (a ram resulting from an SET x PMA cross, adding those bloodlines); Maizie Hescock; Monique van de Ven (a ram from a Jacobs Ladder x Sheepside cross); Ingrid Painter; John & Karen McNelis (a ram carrying both Weavers Wool and Maverick breeding); Cathie and Mark Williams; Cheryl Terrano; Janine Fenton & Diane Fagerberg; and Royal Unzicker.
In 2004, we were very happy to add Huntsberger Drummond – one of the “Butter Island” Jacobs, to our flock, facilitated by Royal Unzicker. Crossing Drummond with ewes that carry a high percentage of Jacobs Ladder, Lasseau, and other old bloodlines provides a wonderful opportunity to meet our conservation breeding goals. We look forward to placing Drummond’s offspring with interested breeders.
While we also raised other colored wool sheep for a few years, we eventually found it easier to care for the hardy Jacobs while also raising small children and working off the farm, and have been “all Jacob” for quite a few years now.
Sires of Our 2010 Lambs Include:
- From the Butter Island flock - sire and dam Unknown.
- Stately 4-horned ram, wonderful horn-set, sweet disposition.
- Maverick Magnus x Rockies Stacia
- 4 horned, born 2/10/02, bred by Royal Unzicker of Sellersville, PA.
- Medium, crimpy fleece with nice staple length
- Rockies Myrddin x Sweetgrass Galadriel
- 4-horned twin, born 4/11/2008.
- This young ram has a nice balance of breed character, fleece quality, and temperament that we like. We will be using him as one of our flock sires beginning in the fall of 2009.
- Rockies Myrddin x Sweetgrass Mary Ella
- 4-horned twin, born 3/31/2009
- Siskiwit is a showy young ram with a beautiful fleece. We will be using him as one of our flock sires in the fall of 2009.